Not a fan of mohair? Fear not! For this kit, we've paired Spincycle's color-shifting Dyed in the Wool with Cirro from The Fibre Co. (Suri Alpaca & Merino wrapped around a thread of organic cotton to make a light, airy yarn), so your finished cowl will be warm, soft, and fluffy, with the perfect balance of body and drape. Start with a provisional cast-on, then knit sideways to create a tube...finish with a half twist, some kitchener stitch, et voilà! An easy-to-wear cowl that'll keep you warm and super-cozy in chilly weather.
Note: We will purchase the pattern for you on Ravelry, as well as email you the digital file, and include a printed copy with your order. (Please provide your email and Ravelry name, if available.)
Our kits include:
- MC: 2 skeins The Fibre Co. Cirro 40/40/20 Suri Alpaca/Organic Cotton/Merino Wool (50 g/246 yds/225 m) - 2 skeins
- CC: 2 skeins Spincycle Yarns Dyed in the Wool 100% Superwash American Wool (50 g/200 yds/183 m)
- Velvet Mirror Cowl pattern by Andrea Mowry
You will also need (sold separately):
- Size US 4/3.5 mm -16”/40 cm circular needle, recommended - A second needle of the same size will be needed to finish the cowl. (Use the needle size you need to achieve gauge.)
- Crochet hook for Provisional Cast On (Size E is recommended).
- Smooth waste yarn, stitch marker (1), tapestry needle. A row counter and blocking wires are recommended.
Height - 10.5”/26.5 cm
Circumference - 29”/73.5 cm
20.5 sts & 24.5 rnds = 4”/10 cm
Measured over stitch pattern knit in the round, after blocking.
Reading charts (please note the colorwork in this pattern is charted only)
If you'd like to customize your own kit, simply visit the links above for each yarn and place them in your shopping cart separately. (We've provided a few other yarn suggestions below.) Check out Andrea's Velvet Mirror Cowl project page on Ravelry here for more inspiration. We're also happy to help you choose a custom combo...feel free to email or call us with questions!
Other yarn options:
- Oh Dang! — The Farmer's Daughter Fibers
- Brushed Suri — Blue Sky Fibers
- Cumulus — Fyberspates
- Local Merino Sport — Full Measure Farm (New Milford, CT)
- Recollect — The Farmer's Daughter
- Cashgora — Cashmere People Yarns
- TYND / SNO — Woolfolk Yarns
- Chickadee — Quince & Co.
- wool-free option for CC: Remix Light — Berroco
Heavy Fingering Weight/Sport Weight in 2 colors:
- MC - Suri Alpaca 70 g/269 yds/246 m
- CC - Merino Wool 80 g/320 yds/293 m
© Andrea Mowry (images of finished cowl)