Smugglers Cove is a relatively easy colorwork shawl by Kay Hopkins that uses only one color of yarn per row. What a fun way to use those mini-skein gradient sets!
Mosaic (slip stitch) is fun and easy as colorwork goes, given that only one color of yarn is used at any time. The solid bands are worked in simple garter, lace and texture stitches and the Mosaic sections are perfect for a gradient yarn. See this wonderful tutorial by Felicia at Sweet Georgia Yarns for working Mosaic colorwork using this shawl pattern.
The pattern is not included in these kits and can be found on Ravelry here. The pattern can be purchased as a Ravelry download on its own, or as part of the designer's 3-shawl knitting collection: FUN WITH COLOR.
Our kits include:
MC: Sweet Georgia Bulletproof Sock - 2 skeins
Fingering (80% merino wool, 20% nylon); 425 yds (389m)/4 oz (115g)
CC: Sweet Georgia Tough Love Party of Five - 1 gradient set
Fingering (80% merino wool, 20% nylon); 525yds (480m)/5 oz (142g)
You will also need (sold separately):
- US5 (3.75mm) 29-32” (70-80cm) circulars for main body of shawl
- US6 (4mm) 29-32" (70-80cm) circulars for mosaic work only (if indicated by swatch results)
- US4 (3.5mm) 29-32" (70-80cm) circulars for finishing band
(or size needed to obtain gauge)
- stitch markers
- row counter (optional)
- tapestry/blunt needle for weaving in ends
- blocking tools
If you'd like to customize your own kit, simply visit the links above for each yarn and place them in your shopping cart separately. (We've provided other yarn options below.) Check out Kay's Smugglers Cove shawl project page on Ravelry [click here] for more inspiration. We're also happy to help you choose colors...feel free to email or call us with questions!
- MC — 670yds (612m) — 2 skeins would be 850yds
- CC — 277yds (252m) — 1 mini-gradient set, or self-striping or gradient yarn
(yarn usage will vary depending on gauge and specific yarn used)
The colorwork in this shawl was inspired by the surf at Smugglers Cove. The bands of lace and texture represent the clam holes and surf lines in the sand as well as the lush forest and mountains framing the secluded beach.
The shawl construction is top-down, triangular; the instructions are both charted and written; and the pattern has been professionally tech edited and tested.
Smugglers Cove is a very secluded beach on the Central Oregon Coast and a popular surf destination. A short hike through the forest on Neahkahnie Mountain ends at Smugglers Cove where there is protection from the wind and beautiful scenery. Urban legend holds that pirate treasure is buried here but it has never been found.
~Kay Hopkins (Knit for the Soul designer)
Other yarn options:
- Dyed in the Wool — Spincycle
- Lillian and Lillian Plus Mini Gradient Bundle — Dirty Water Dyeworks
- Stars Hollow Themed Mini-Skein Kit — Canon Hand Dyes
- Mary Ann Mini-skein Pack — Wonderland Yarns
- William Merino Gradient — Canon Hand Dyes
- Zauberball Crazy — Schoppel-Wolle
- Naked Bruce Yak Silk Single Ply or Naked Bruce Yak Merino — Canon Hand Dyes
Little Brother — YOTH
- Cashgora — Cashmere People Yarns
Fino — Manos del Uruguay
- Malabrigo Sock
- Moon Sisters — The Farmer's Daughter Fibers
- CashLuxe Spark — SweetGeorgia Yarns
- Oscar Sparkle Gradient — Canon Hand Dyes
- wool-free options:
Images of the finished shawl are courtesy of Kay Hopkins
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.