Retail Sales Associate
Stars Hollow Yarns is current seeking an energetic, hardworking, reliable and effective Retail Sales Associate who thrives in a high-energy environment. The ideal candidate will be responsible for creating and organizing a pleasant shopping environment for our clientele, providing excellent customer service and driving customer loyalty. Individual responsibilities as a Retail Sales Associate include demonstrating outstanding customer service and selling skills, replenishing products on the sales floor, assisting in display of merchandise and keeping the sales floor and store image neat, organized, clean and stocked.
Must be comfortable processing payments through Shopify (including checks, cash, and credit cards) accurately and efficiently. The ideal candidate maintains a professional attitude with sincerity and enthusiasm, reflecting Stars Hollow Yarns’ commitment to our customers and our community. Develops product knowledge and knitting/crochet skills by staying on top of current trends through Ravelry and various social media, reading current vendor tags and pamphlets, and attending classes & staff meetings to share relevant information with the customer.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic, friendly, and energetic personality; honest, dependable, and with a genuine desire to provide outstanding service to every customer
- Resourceful (you may not always have the answers, but you know where to find them)
- Ability to read, write and effectively communicate with customers, peers and shop management via text and email
- Excellent telephone etiquette
- Ability to multi-task, while being attentive to customers and remaining flexible to the needs of the business
- Ability to operate Point of Sale systems, willing and able to learn new programs and manage financial transactions
- Ability process gift cards and store credits efficiently
- Accurately receive and maintain inventory
- Ability to work as part of a team and take initiative independent of direct supervision
- Confident working with little to no supervision (including opening and/or closing the shop), while also knowing when to ask for guidance/help
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk up and down stairs regularly, and lift up to 35lbs when large shipments arrive
- Assist with filling and shipping online orders accurately and swiftly
- Complete necessary housekeeping to present a clean and orderly store
- Agreeable to work flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business
- Timely communication with shop owner about time-off requests
- Previous retail and/or customer service experience
- Interest in sustainability and fair trade practices
- Manager experience is a bonus and may lead to job growth
- Basic knitting and/or crochet skills (classes are available for you to learn and/or expand your knowledge)
- Ability and willingness to help customers fix knitting/crochet mistakes
- Follow Stars Hollow Yarns on social media and stay up-to-date with our shop website
- Familiarity with Ravelry
- Monitor fiber social media for trends; share with shop owner and other staff
- Demonstrate strong product expertise, engage clients through the details and stories of our products
- Promote community involvement, create events with partnership throughout the surrounding areas
Stars Hollow Yarns staff functions as a team in every aspect of the word.
Job Type: Part-time / Full-Time (hourly)
Hours: Flexible (20+ hours per week, ideally to include weekends)
Location: Stars Hollow Yarns (studio & main shop), 2 Wheaton Rd, Washington, CT 06777
Salary will be based on experience.
BENEFITS: We offer a fun work environment, flexible schedules, free knitting and fiber classes for all employees, a generous store discount, and free parking. Stars Hollow Yarns is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Due to COVID, the shop is currently open for limited hours, but we hope to return to previous (standard) hours soon, which would provide an opportunity for staff to go full-time.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send your resume with employment history and availability to email@example.com (if applicable, include your Ravelry profile name and a cover letter stating why you would be the perfect candidate).